Monday, May 19, 2008

My FIRST JOB at WWF in year '07! Was I lucky or unlucky?

Cool breeze from the air conditioners above me,
Oh, in the cold, shivering are my knees,
The rough surfaces of the tiles under me,
Dragging your feet, you will hear the sound of bees,
To my left, i see files and files,
The sight of them takes away the smiles,
Staring out the clear windows,
I see a busy car park down below,
I hear a bird chirping,
But overpowering it are the sounds of honking,
Busy, Busy, Buzzing employees,
Their fingers type with speed on the keyboard keys,
But worse of all, to my right, the stacks of shirts waiting to be packed,labeled and sent,
Oh, the pain felt from the 'dent' on my head.

"This will be a piece of cake, i will have no problems, that sounds very easy," these were some of the sentences i would say to myself when i was offered a job by WWF to help package their shirts to be sent all around Malaysia. You do know what WWF is don't you? Well, if you don't, i will tell you.It stands for World Wide Fund for Nature. Thats right! What i feel about nature is like what a mouse feels for CHEESE!

Anyway, back to the original topic for today. My cousin who is an employee at WWF came up to me one point in time recently to offer me a job at WWF. She said all i had to do was package all the shirts that were ordered from all around Malaysia. Hearing the sound of money, my ear immediately erased part of the sentence mentioning that the orders were from all around Malaysia. It is not that I just love money but I just enjoy getting as much as I can so that I won't have to always depend on my parents when i want something. Plus, i have never worked in that kind of office so i thought why not give it a shot. That was the beginning of my misfortune.

I went to work on the first day, i saw the Pyramids of Giza when i looked to my right and saw the stack of shirts to be packed. My mouth had already fallen to the ground, but i decided that maybe i should not judge the toughness of this job by just looking at the pile of shirts i have to pack, so i just picked up my mouth and started working. At the end of my first day, being a 'slightly' hot headed person, i started complaining. I complained about the List of orders not being in alphabetical order, i complained about the fact that no one was helping me, i complained about nearly everything i could think of. My head felt as though an arrow just shot straight through my head. I was tired and i could not do anything so i just went to sleep. The following day, the same thing repeated, and repeated, and repeated. By the fourth day, i finished the pile of shirts i first saw on my first day. I was so happy i 'hit the ceiling' but i knocked my head on the ground when they told me i had to type more air way bills for more packages and a this time i saw the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

After about a week of working there i finally finished all my work and i would get my pay check soon. From then on i knew that i was not the type to work in such places as it is a pain in the neck. I decided that i would hopefully work in a more 'peaceful' environment.

I read it from another place but this is the only picture i can get to show.

When i an assignment to read on the story Moon by Chaim Potok and Iqbal Masih by David L. Parker from stolen Dreams : Portraits of Working Children, i thought that this will be just a story. However, tears started to flow from my eyes down my cheek, wetting my shirt as i read the story. Admitting it, i am a lachrymose whenever i watch,see,read or hear sad things and even touching something that has a sad memory. This story just moved me as i read on how children at the mere age of 4 are sold away to work at carpet factories. Imagine being sold away by you own family. How painful it is to part with your only blood relative, but i also admire these people that they are tough. Their problems are like a tsunami compared to my little wave yet they do not complain as much as i do.

I knew all along that i was lucky to be born in a loving family, to be able to be educated well, to have to opportunity to join anything i please and to have to say in what i do, but, maybe i have not been thankful enough yet. I compare my situation to the Pakistani children. They get so much less than i do yet they smile and they are so joyful. They neither have the education i have, not a loving family, or a say in what they do, yet they are so thankful for what they have.

Thinking back, my experience working with WWF may actually be a good experience. I got to experience working in an office that not everyone can get, i learnt how to use a typewriter, i learnt to work fast, but most of all, i learnt a lesson that will change me. I learnt that i should be patient, be happy when i am able to help others, and most of all, i should be thankful.

I was brought to this Earth for a reason. I was given a goal in life when i took my first breath. My experience working is just one of the hardships i will have to face in life. I cannot rush to reach my goal as i can only see so much of my future. This is just a stepping stone and i am glad i have passed it. The hardships i will face in the future will be much worse than this so i will have to take it slowly and PATIENTLY.

When running a marathon, we...
Pant, pant, run, run, pant, pant, run, run
When we study, we...
Study,study,stress,stress,study, study, stress, stress
All we're doing is all wrong
No wonder we always sing a sad song
We always over do all things
Doing this is right, we think
Chill,chill, do not rush,
it is not the end you know
sprint, jog, sprint,jog
study, rest, study, rest
And at the end, push with all you have left,
don't look right, don't look left,
focus on your goal,
to satisfy your soul
Do this and you'll be at the top
in 1 piece
1 breath
but with a 1000 smiles!

If everyone in the world started becoming more thankful, this world would change for the better. No more wars, no more torture. Just peace and harmony.

I may not get many opportunities to work for money at the moment, but i have all the time to help the needy.I do quite a lot of voluntary work often but maybe i can still do more. By decreasing the time i use to play computer games and watch Japanese Animations, i can spend more time helping others who need my help. Packaging is definitely not one of my strengths. But i was born with gifts and these gifts are to create a better future of others as well as myself. I will use them to the MAX to create a better future for everyone and i will try to make a difference in the world. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE! Never give up on something, miracles happen everyday.

( This was one of my journal entries at the start of year 2008 As for the two stories. I advise everyone to read it. I don't usually like these type of stories but it was really touching. ^^)

:+: Su Mei :+:

No comments: